When he took office, Ted Kennedy's résumé was brief. He'd been expelled from Harvard for cheating on a Spanish exam...Let me get this straight, killing someone because of your recklessness doesn't permanently take you out of presidential contention? President, no that would be ridiculous, Senator sure! Am I the only one who is horrified by the nepotism and sense of entitlement in our political system. The Kennedy's are simply one of the most egregious examples, but there is definitely a familial aspect to the nation's political class. A few of the multitudinous examples:
...he drove off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island off the Massachusetts coast. Ted Kennedy swam away but his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, drowned. His failure to notify authorities of the accident removed him for at least a time from any presidential consideration.
Nevertheless, he was re-elected to the Senate and served continuously until his death yesterday.
- John F. Kennedy was president, his brother Robert Kennedy a U.S. attorney, his other brother Ted kennedy a Massachusetts Senator.
- Both Vice President Al Gore and his father were senators from Tennessee.
- George W. Bush's father was president, His brother, Jeb Bush, governor of Florida, and his great-grandfather a U.S. senator.
- Bill Clinton was president, Hillary Clinton was Senator and is Secretary of State.
- Colin Powell's son is chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.
- Sen. Mitch McConnell's wife, Elaine Chao, was secretary of Labor.
- Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist's daughter, Janet, was inspector-general of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Congressmen John Dingell, Charles Gonzalez, Jim Duncan, and Harold Ford have all held the same seats their fathers held.
- The fathers of Nancy Pelosi, Jon Kyl, Chris Dodd, and Bob Bennett were all Congressman.
- Sen. Frank Murkowski, R-Alaska, gave up his Senate seat to become his state's governor and appointed his daughter to fill his position.
- Senator Carl Levin and his brother Congressman Sander Levin.
- Kwame Kilpatrick is the son of Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick.
- Senators Robert F. Bennett and Mark Pryor are both the sons of senators.
- Olympia J. Snowe is the wife of former Maine Governor John R. McKernan.
- Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is the son of George Romney, a former Michigan governor.
- Senator Elizabeth Dole, wife of Senator Bob Dole.